Most people are totally cool with my age. But every so often I meet someone who is not. Some people are a little unsettled by it. They never say anything like, "that is so weird, you must be a freak, stay away from me," but I can always tell. This morning I met a girl in my apartment complex. I was talking to some of the guys in the group she was with that I had met previously, and who had already discussed my age. They mentioned it, and she made one of those "oh really" response. She kept talking to me, and was quite polite about everything, but her tone and expression betrayed her.
I've had a few people tell me that I'm often rather vague when explaining things happening in my life. Now see, this is funny, because usually I either explain in broad generalities, or else get way too far into the fine minutia of the story. I seem to have a hard time hitting a happy medium. I think I'm so excited to finally be talking and telling someone about it all that I just can't stop talking. I always worry though about telling more than I should. Whenever I open up to people, they seem to naturally want to reassure me, and show that they understand exactly what my problem is. Although sometimes this is nice, it can also be frightening when I'm trying to remain vague on a subject that I don't want them to know all the details on, and then they start acting as though they understand perfectly, and I suddenly panic and wonder if maybe I said too much and they figured it out, or they really have no clue and they're just pretending, or if they really do think they understand but in reality are way off base. I suppose I could try asking them, but then of course they want to know whether or not they're right, and what it is that I'm trying to keep hidden. Its not that I don't trust them, its just that some things are not meant to be shared. There are somethings you cannot tell the whole world.
30.9.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
People generally feel that they should say something, so if you don't give them enough details they will guess that you have either given them all the information and they'll say some stuff or they will fill in the rest for themselves, when they really should just listen and not talk at all. That would be something I should start doing. Yup.
Post a Comment