12.9.06

Dead end rambling

I was going to write something here about dating, the kind of girls guys always seems to like, the general dating frustrations of many girls, and how it always seems that the guy you like never ends up liking you back, but then I decided I'd just end up sounding whiny or bitter or something, so I've now accomplished the same thing using much less space.

One of these days I'll get around to taking a sociology class, and then I'll have an excuse for thinking and theorizing on why people act the way they do. I try to see things from different perspectives, and understand where people are coming from. I think I do pretty well most of the time. I'm usually pretty patient and understanding of my friends. Which is actually really funny, because I'm a terribly short-tempered person. Especially when its hot. Almost anything will get me irritated if its hot. Its probably not even your fault, I simply do not deal well with heat.

Sometimes I wonder if people are telling me things because they honestly believe it, or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Like the old "do these pants make my butt look big" dilemma. People are always telling me "it'll work out just fine." But how do they know that? "If you're persistent, that guy will come around eventually." "Don't worry about picking a major, you've got time." Except the thing is, I don't. After this semester, I'll be a junior credit wise. Pretty soon I'll have too many credits to be considered for some majors. There are dozens of majors I'll probably never even consider, either because I don't know enough about them or I've got too many preconceived notions. And then of course, there's my dabbler problem. I've always been a dabbler. I like a whole lot of things a little bit. I like english, math, art, and most sciences. And I do not do well with too much of any one of them. I need moderation in things. If I have a lot of homework that involves reading and no critical thinking, I go nuts. And the same thing goes for having nothing but math homework. Which is why I worry about every being able to find a major that really works for me. Majors don't tend to be very interdisciplinary.

Ever get to a point where you wonder why exactly you're writing? I feel like I have so many thoughts I'd like to explore, but the ones coming out are not the ones I was hoping for. I'll have to try again another time, I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I never realized how many majors don't want you applying when you're a junior. It is, after all, what turned my butt around and made me come back to Provo.