14.8.06

Silence fiend!

There are a few situations that I always dread because I never know what to say/do in them. One of them is talent shows. I think I'd like to be in a talent show. I was in one once in 4th grade. We did a dance. But ever since then, whenever the sign up sheets come around, I can never think of anything I could do for it. I think a skit might be fun. I've done skits at Girls Camp and such. I'm particularly fond of Eggs. I do have one talent I've secretly been planning on developing to stageworthiness, but if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?

Another is most embarassing moment. This invariably gets done at least 3 or 4 times a year. As a sort of ice breaker. If we've all seen each other at the bottom, there's no where to go but up, right? Yeah, um, no. I don't know if I'm just incredibly talented, or if I somehow manage to block all unpleasantness within 20 minutes of its happening, but I can't remember embarassing moments. I know I have them, because at the time, I think, "how embarassing. I wonder if I can use this for my embarassing moment" (I really do think that -- I have that much trouble coming up with one) and then later on I'll remember thinking that, but not what prompted it. But every time people ask me, and all I can say is, uhhhhhh, for some reason they all think I have some big secret to hide. I don't quite get it.

For those poor, unfortunate, embarrasingly ignorant souls who don't know what a fiend is or work it into everyday conversation, here you go.

Fiend n.
    1. An evil spirit; a demon.
    2. A diabolically evil or wicked person.
  1. Informal. One who is addicted to something: a dope fiend.
  2. Informal. One who is completely absorbed in or obsessed with a given job or pastime: a crossword-puzzle fiend.
This word is remarkably underused. Please join our word liberation cause, and feel free to donate to the Spread-the-Word fund by using fiend often and well. Happy speaking.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fiend is such a fun word. I plan to use the word "fiend" many times in the future. I plan to use it so many times I become a fiend fiend.

Emily said...

well people only think that cuz you tend to hide rather large secrets, even when there is no reason to, and people ask you specifically. What IS your 3rd period class.??? STUPID FIEND