23.8.06

Respawn

A couple of nights ago I saw a cricket in my bathtub. However, it being very late and my being very tired, I decided to take care of it in the morning when I had to take a shower. By the next morning I had of course completely forgotten and so didn't notice that my bathtub was remarkably cricket free. But then when I went in there again last night, there was once again a cricket in the tub. There is only one logical explanation. Crickets are respawning in my bathtub.

Respawning is not usually a word that comes to mind on a regular basis. But last night there was a bit of a party involving about 12 people in a little shack with 2 gallons of milk, a box of cookies, salt and vinegar chips, two laptops playing what some might call music, one sofa, two TVs with accompanying x-boxes and cable crud, several copies of Halo, and a whole mess of controllers, about half of which actually worked. I myself am terrible at Halo. I tried playing once, but I don't have the control necessary to maneuver my little dude. And I never did get the hang of that looking up-down thing. I always pushed the joystick the wrong direction (yes, I realize the regular/inverted setting is supposed to eliminate this problem. Yeah... neither way works for me? I fail a lot) But I did watch some Halo last night. Respawn is such a good word.

Coming home is always a rather strange experience. I tend to act very differently. I don't do it on purpose, I just sort of become a different person. I've often thought it was funny how different my friends from home were from the friend I have up at college. For instance, at college I always have a close knit and very rigid group of friends. Its pretty much always the same group of close friends. But at home the group is much more fluid. So I'm good friends with only a few, but I know 20 others who may or may not be there depending on the day. Most noticeably though in my own behavior is probably speech and to some extent gestures. I pick up speech patterns very easily (not always good. I thought in Jane Austen english for several hours after finishing Pride and Prejudice. and that was just reading) But since I've already lived here, its not so much picking up as it is sliding back into it. I realized the other day that I was using some very Mimi like language (hoy mimi!) One of my favorite things about the people at home is that they use ridiculous phrases and terminology. As one of my other friends said, we're some of the few people that actually understand whats going on when they speak. I certainly don't use 'step it up' and 'filth' when I'm at school. And if I said "lets go to schmigglies", I'd probably get a lot of weird looks and no fries.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Schmigglies sounds like a fun word. You should use it at school!