There is music playing in the atrium of the library. It sounds like old sappy violin music for westerns. And I think its on loop.
I'm back from my short little midsemester vacation. All in all it was rather enjoyable. I actually wasn't itching to come back yet, which is surprising, because usually, my family is great and all, but they get on my nerves faster than anyone I know. Usually its not too bad, because I intersperse spending time with my family with visiting with friends. This trip was kind of weird, being the middle of the semester and all, since most of my friends are off at school right now, and off the few still at home, I only saw one. But it was a good time had by all, and Denny's hires convicts.
Ever feel frustrated by your inability to talk to new people? Maybe its just me, and I'm just lame, but so often I'll find myself wishing that I knew more people, and wanting to introduce myself and start conversations, but knowing that even if I did say something to them, and I happened to find them agreeable, there's probably not enough time to get to know them anyway. And then they'll disappear, and what are the chances of ever getting to talk to them again?
That music is still playing. Still.
There's a guy sitting across from me sleeping in his arm chair. I wonder what kind of a person he is. I feel bad, on occasion, because I know I judge people a lot on appearance. There are thousands of people out there, and you can't possibly talk to all of them, so you have to make decisions based on something. But I do think that its not necessarily completely unfair of me. For the most part, a person's appearance can have a great deal to say about them. We do have stereotypes for a reason. In my mind, the guy sitting there is not a skater, because he lacks the skater clothing and hairstyle. He's also not a goth, or a prep. He's not a jock either, although he probably does play some sports. I bet he throws around a football or a frisbee with friends every so often. I might peg him as a basketball or soccer player. Maybe even lacrosse. I thought about tennis, but something about those wrinkled khaki cargo pants says no. Do I have any reasonable basis for that decision? none whatsoever. I've never made an exact science out of it. Some guys look really good in hoodies though. And what about hairstyle? He's got short hair, spiked on top, with sideburns to the bottom of his ears, and a little bit of scruff growing on his face. I might also tell you that he has nice eyebrows and nose, but since he can't very well control that, I suppose its not fair to judge his personality that way. I have wondered though how much your physical appearance in variables outside of your control affect who you are. Its always seemed to me that certain kinds of people have a certain look about them. Its like how some people's names just seem to fit them. Did their parents, in a brief moment of foresight, know that their infant would grow up to look like a Stanley, or a Kenneth? Or, being named Walter, do you grow into that role? Its too bad I don't have a camera. Watching others makes me wonder if I've ever been watched.
The hooded boy has gone and three females have completed my square. I fear the pressure is too much. I am leaving.
24.10.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I feel frustrated. I think that it would be easier to meet new people if it was given as an assignment. Like, "Jenny, say hello to three random people while walking on campus." I want someone to give me assignments.
Why do you fear the pressure of squares?
Post a Comment