7.11.06

Linkity link... LINK

The name of this entry was almost "Other Wind". Yes, I realize The Other Wind is the name of a book by Ursula LeGuin, and not even one that I'm especially fond of (A Wizard of Earthsea is better), but I thought it was appropriate as a title.

I've never really used hyperlinks in my blog. There are quite a few in here.

I'd forgotten how much I really do love to write. Last night I was going through some folders on my computer, consolidating and reorganizing, and I came across some poems and short stories that I've written over the past few months. Reading them was rather amusing. Some of the ones I once prized so highly seemed rather pale, and a few of the poems I simply slammed out and initially thought horribly ugly and deformed actually had something to them. Its funny, because although I wrote all of them, and once I read them I remembered them, I had completely forgotten most of them existed. Almost none have ever even seen the light of day (aka, I've never let anyone read them). In an effort to get them out of the closet, I pulled a leaf from Kelsey's book and set up a separate blog so that I'm not endlessly cluttering up this one and subjecting you all to needless depressing torment. So I'll periodically post some of the stuff I have (mostly poems with a few short stories) and hopefully get around to writing some new stuff as well. Not quite sure what I'm trying to accomplish here, just felt like I put all that effort into them, I ought to at least get them out there so they have a chance of being read.

"Agatha" is a short short -- a very short story that tells an entire narrative in 300 words or less. You really have to cut it down to the bare bones of the story. There is no room for all the flowery crap. It really makes you realize that every word counts. I wrote it for a creative writing class in July, and overall was rather pleased with how the symbolism played out.

Today I was pondering on the word "mustache". What a strange little word, don't you think? And just look at the spelling! Its postively bizarre. Oughtn't it to be mustash, or something? Who in their right mind would pronounce "ache" as "ash"? "Ache" already has its own flippin pronounciation! But then, if we all went around pronouncing it must-ache, everyone would think we were making a mistake, but with a horrible accent. This is doubly funny when you consider that in the opinion of many, mustaches really are a mistake, and certainly if you get them caught on something they must ache. I even bothered to look up the etymology of the horrid little word, and what do you suppose I found? Yes, just as I'd expected. French. Those same French that invented attache and rendezvous. And mustache is not just plain old every day French, but middle French. Looking back even farther, we discover Latin, Greek, and the diminutive form of a Greek word. This is all just further proof to me that mustaches should be abolished. Unless of course, you're this guy.

For those of you who actually clicked on the above links, I applaud you, and apologize for utterly wasting your time :p

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I did click on some of the links, but not all, as our internet is very slow. I love reading what you write (as in your other blog) because your mind thinks in ways I never thought of before, and I like it. I'm glad your homework got a cozy rest in your backpack today then...**)

jules said...

It was more marvelous than I ever imagined!