One of the things that happens when you're paranoid about people and your relations and you expend far to much time and energy analyzing what has happened and what is currently happening, is that you begin to understand things. You start seeing things, connections, paths. I'm currently in a situation where it would be very good for me to start making friends, very quickly. I've been thrown into close quarters with a whole group of people who don't know each other, and alliances are being formed. It would be best if I was involved in some of them, and not having to try to weasel in later. The only problem is, I'm not naturally inclined to be a fast friend maker. It usually takes me awhile. And my nature is such that, while I'm not happiest when alone, I can deal with it adequately for a time. I'm beginning to realize that if I want something to happen, I'm going to have to make myself do it. And then, I thought despairingly, but I'm not good at making friends. How am I ever going to do this? I've never been able to do it, why should it start working now? That's when my secret, alter-self voice began informing me that I actually did know exactly what to do, and this was how to do it. It was a fascinating revelation. Does this mean that I am suddenly able to make instant friends? Of course not. Knowledge and action are two different things. But knowledge is the first step to effective action. And the practical necessity of making friends aside, it was interesting to see that I actually was able to understand people's needs and social behaviors, and see how I would have to work with them to accomplish my goal.
I don't plan to go into great depths on my relationship theories at the present, but if you're curious, I'd say the two main points are confidence and displayed partiality.
11.9.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'd like to hear these theories sometime. I miss our late night philosophical conversations...
Post a Comment