15.9.08

Epiphanies

At one point in time, I asked myself how I would feel about a lifestyle that required me to move to a different part of the world every 3 weeks. At the time, I thought it might be kind of cool: get to see lots of cool places, meet all sorts of cool people, really broaden your horizons. I've since had a bit of a thought reversal, with the main problem I see being loneliness. Maybe there are people out there who can make decent friends in a few days, and make moving around worthwhile. I, personally, cannot. And I'm one of those people who doesn't need to have a lot of friends, but I do need to have at least a few really good friends who I feel comfortable with and can confide in. The kind of people you don't have to keep up the facade around. When you're like me, and you're naturally tense and guarded, it's nice to be able to relax and let it out sometimes (as an interesting sidenote, I've noticed recently that while walking around with a sidebag, I tend to hold the strap unnecessarily tightly, and often keep my free hand closed as well). It's interesting how we come to know ourselves over time. Kind of odd that, considering how much time we spend with ourselves, we still have so much to learn.

I have been known to ask people what the big deal is about Shakespeare. I'm beginning to understand. Although how he managed to do what he did with his background, I don't quite understand (neither does a good portion of the academic community, which is why Bacon and de Vere are so popular). You know there was actually a point in time where Shakespeare just seemed to awaken to the power of language: all of a sudden, his writing began to break away from the restricted conventions, to experiment more, and became more richly varied and creative. Unfortunately, we don't know what triggered the change. Too bad. I wouldn't mind such an epiphany myself.

I wonder if having a faster WPM typing speed would actually help me write faster, or if I would still maintain about the same speed, limited by my ability to mentally compose.

No comments: