I've never met such a universally napping culture as dancers. Seriously, all the time in my dance classes: "I took a 4 hour nap yesterday--so nice!" "I am going to take a nap ate 3:00 today." "I just wanna skip jazz and ballet 3 and go home and sleep." "Well, I was going to finish the Odyssey last night, but then I fell asleep reading it and woke up at 11:00." "I'm so happy class is over--I'm just gonna go home and sleep." Does all that dancing exhaust them? Or do dancers just not sleep at night? Maybe dancers are also partiers, and they don't go to bed before dawn. It could be that for some reason dance classes and lessons are always held ridiculously early in the morning. I've known plenty of people getting up at 5 for a lesson at 6, and team meets at 7 everyday.
I have to admit, I've started to join them. I have my silver standard class at 8 every morning, so I usually end up getting up around 6:30. And although my goal is to go to bed at 10, I think that's happened maybe once this entire summer. Midnight is a much more common occurence, or even as late as 2. Naps have pretty much become a staple of my afternoons.
I always kind of wished that I lived in one of those cultures with a biphasic sleep schedule. I love being awake in the early morning hours, but it's really really hard for me to go to bed early (not helped by the fact that it's really easy for me to stay up all night). Unfortunately, with one 8 hour block of sleep, you can have the night or the morning, but not both. With my current schedule, I sort of do get both, but I'm also really tired when I wake up in the morning, and more often than not, I end up hitting the snooze button multiple times. I've actually done some research into biphasic sleeping recently, and I'm thinking about giving it a whirl... If only I didn't have certain places to be at certain times.
4.8.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'd like to try that too. I love early mornings and late nights-you really can't have both otherwise.
Post a Comment