8.11.08

Almost political

It's very frustrating not to be able to give a good defense for something you believe in. Makes you feel kind of helpless. And with people attack you for it, what can you say? This is what I believe. And yes, I think my belief is right and yours is wrong. Somehow, people don't take kindly to that.

However, I don't think that justifies rude, hateful, or destructive behavior. In response to the recent result of a proposition with a very close vote, thousands of people have turned out to protest. While it's their right to protest, I don't agree with the way they've done it. Shouting angrily, scrawling graffiti on the sides of religious buildings, and telling people to "go back" to a place they're not even from--rather like people once told black Americans to go back to Africa, no matter that neither they, their parents, even their grandparents had ever been to Africa. It just doesn't make any sense. People need to stop picking scapegoats and making erroneous accusations, and instead try to understand one another and take action in a rational, humane fashion.

I just watched the acceptance speech for the new president elect of the United States. I don't know much about his character, morals, or policies, but I will say this: He makes a good speech. And in a position of public prominence, that can be a powerful asset. Obama is now in a position to make a difference. He could do a lot of good. I can only hope that he will.

I've decided that I am at my most creative late at night, but that is also the point at which my judgment is most impaired. So it's probably a good thing that usually I wait till morning before acting on any of my "brilliant" ideas.

No comments: