22.5.07

Nothing says "confidence" like banana

Everything is going to electronic form, but sometimes I just like the feel of pages under my fingers. That's why I still prefer a hardcopy dictionary to the internet. I like the pages skimming past under my thumbs as I shift back and forth, back and forth, narrowing in on the entry. A binary search. I still prefer to print off all the articles I have to read for class, if the cost of printing isn't to prohibitive. And there's just something satisfying about snapping that newspaper up in front of you.

I had my first bike crash yesterday. It's probably the first one since I learned to ride as a kid. I was riding down the wet sidewalk with only one hand on the handlebars, trying to break with my nearly nonexistant breaks, and attempting to put my cellphone back in my pocket all at once, and my bike started wobbling. It wobbled right over to the extreme edge of the curb, teetered for about 5 seconds, slid off into the street and threw me skidding down the sidewalk. I managed to skin my elbow, knee, wrist, and opposite hand (through my hoodie and jeans, I might add). Also banged my left shoulder really good. But the bike was fine, and I basically got up and kept going. Just now my elbow stings and my shoulder really hurts when I move it. And sometimes it makes funny popping noises. But no bruising, which I thought was rather strange, and a little disappointing as well. Injuries are much more impressive and garner more sympathy if there's actual physical evidence. All the proof you've got on my shoulder is my word.

I recently joined my ward's intramural (tricky word) soccer team. I've never played on a team before. Ever. Not even chess or debate. Last Thursday I played in a game for the first time in my life (and actually hit the ball once or twice too) Needless to say, I'm fairly horrible. But I figure the point is just to have fun. I'm not playing because I'm hoping to have fantastic soccer skills. Quite frankly, there are other things I'd rather focus on right now. But I still feel bad because I know pretty much everyone on the team could do a better job in my place, and I can't help but think that everytime I kick (or fail to kick) the ball, they're thinking they could have actually passed to someone on the right team. Do I sound depressing to anyone else? All I'm saying is, I wish someone would give me a few tips on how to play defense.

I'm sort of glad we're not another country. I know everyone else calls it "football" instead of "soccer", but lets face it, even though its more descriptive, "football" has neither the visual nor the auditory appeal of "soccer."

I just ate a whole [mini] loaf of banana bread. I ran all the way down to the Creamery before it closed (minutes to spare) to buy IBC Rootbeer, Grasshopper cookies, and watermelon, and there were these moist, inviting loaves of banana bread... I couldn't help it. I bought banana bread and forgot the watermelon. Which was very sad, because watermelon is one of my very favorite fruits. One of my roommates came in with some watermelon today and I must have looked so desperate she took pity and gave me a bowl. She's my favorite little Hawaiian ever :)

Apparently, rootbeer and cinammon candy are acquired tastes. Who'd've thought?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wince in sympthay of your pain. I don't think your elbow is supposed to pop. I now strongly want some root beer. Wah! I wish I was in Provo with you...