10.12.08

Last Morning

The English language truly is very strange. Why is it that we can refer to things that happened "last night," but not what happened "last morning"? It has to be "yesterday morning" (though you can also say "yesterday night"). All these random holes in the language--no wonder it's such a hard language to learn.

In Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers, the main character refers to her friend as "Jacob" or "My Jacob" depending on whether he's being a complete jerk, or the guy she loves. I've always thought it was an interesting idea, and I have to admit I've done it at least once. It's not a very pleasant experience. Because when they're not being "your" friend, it's no fun at all. You wonder, what happened to that other self, the happy you, the one I love being with? But then again, what right have we to make demands on their behavior? Why should they be required to act in a certain way just to make us happy? And can't we respect the fact that if their behavior is changing and we don't know why, there just might be something going on in their life that we don't know about?

It's a curious thing, getting your hopes up. Because if you do and it doesn't work out, then it's a rather crushing blow. But if it's only just a maybe and perhaps, then if it doesn't work out, then it's just like, oh well, it was a fun thought. I tend to do more of the latter, unless it's quite certain that the event will take place. And even then, sometimes things come up and plans fall through. Or every once in a while something comes up that you just desperately want to happen, and so even if it was unlikely from the first, you're still going to be devastated. Thankfully, life goes on.

No comments: