I wrote a short story today. I think the last short story I actually completed was my short short of less than 300 words (it was awesome, btw) and before that, it was probably that Douglas Adams-esque story in high school, that had brilliant bits of simile, description, and character inspiration, in an absolutely horrid plot. I really wish I could find a copy.
Anyway, for my English class term paper, we have the option of writing a short story in response to one of the stories we've read for class. So I picked Hemingway's famous "Hills Like White Elephants" and tried to imitate the style. Basically, almost no description, all dialogue, very restricted third person point of view, no authorial commentary, you basically have no idea what's going on the whole story. But I was rather pleased with my results. I have a conference with my teacher tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.
It was kind of fun to write though. It's about school girls. Originally, I'd planned to do it in a modern setting about teenage girls talking in a bedroom... and then I voted playground swing set, and suddenly they were like ten instead of fifteen, and for some reason the dialogue refused to stay proper English... so I'm thinking maybe they're from like Alabama or Mississippi or something, maybe a couple of decades ago... yeah.
On the one hand, liking a guy is basically just annoying seems to cause almost more problems and confusion than it's worth. On the other hand, if you don't like any guys at all, you've haven't got anything to hope for.
Is "haven't got" proper English?
I like having life conversations with people. I haven't really had so many recently, but they're nice. Everyone needs a few friends to have life conversations with. Otherwise you just end up talking to near strangers about spontaneously foaming slugs, and receive strange Portuguese poetry that doesn't translate very well:
Here we have a poemAs promised, I've posted another one. Kelsey, you might be interested to know that according to BlogPatrol you have been my past ten visitors to Casaltar. BlogPatrol is fascinating. You know I got two referrals to my blog in the past week based on Google searches for "how to paint my eyebrows" and "no eyebrows goth". I'm almost proud.
it is not a raspberry.
I taste of mass with gravy.
Since that it does not have an eye inside.
3 comments:
Coolness, I'll check it out. So school girls, eh? I'll be wanting to read this. I like school girls. So does Devin, though, for obvious other reasons . . .
I like the sound of the poem, even though I don't understand all of it (I'm no good with poetry, you see), but I definitely seem resemblance to your style and a lot of what editors are looking for right now. I think you should submit your poetry to some places. I've got the Writer's Market 2007 if you want to take a look see.
I'm open to have life conversations whenever you want, I love that kind of thing! And I love your view on liking boys-exactly my sentiments.
Post a Comment