20.4.08

organization style: random

I doubt anyone knows (because I've never told them), but I have extensive lists of things to blog about.

I could tell I was really tired when I woke up the other day because my alarm clock was talking to me. Actually talking, with a remarkable flow of words, which is pretty amazing seeing as in reality my alarm clock beeps like a construction truck backing up. Of course, by the time I was coherent enough to realize that my alarm clock should actually have been beeping at me and not speaking, I'd already turned it off and forgotten what it was saying. Dreams are annoyingly slippery.

If I ever had my own business, I'd want it to be something cooly professional, where a certain amount of discretion and "that's on a need to know basis" was acceptable. That way, I could have an ashtray for important documents. I already have this strange inexplicable urge to shred every paper I throw away that has sensitive information on it-- receipts, to-do lists, phone numbers, schedules-- and even though I usually don't (because I don't want to encourage my paranoid behavior) if I had my own business, there would definitely be an ashtray.

Some times I like to narrate in my head. I don't know if it's normal or not. Sometimes I narrate what I'm doing, and sometimes I narrate something I wish I was writing. I usually plan it out in great detail, exactly as if I was writing or dictating. I'm very careful with word choice and sentence structure and such, and often repeat or work over something in my head until I like it. The downside to this is that if my attention wanders, I'll usually end up repeating the same phrase over and over again without realizing it. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to direct movies, because for whatever reason, even though I'm a bigger reader-writer person, a lot of the scenes I plan out in my head could only be done effectively in a movie format. Because lets face it, film and literature are two different mediums. It's not always the movie's fault that it doesn't live up to the greatness of the book (sometimes it is, but not always). Sometimes it's just inherent in the nature of the book: the element that makes the book great may not transfer to film. Not all great books can make be made into great movies. And likewise, not all great movies can be made into great books.

Now the question is, how much of that had been queuing for an extended period of time, and how much came out unplanned?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love narrating--especially out loud. Then people freak.

About being paranoid, it can get bad, but shredding is SO much fun. And it makes me feel secretive. Maybe I'll show you the giant shredder we have at work some day. And we can shred things together.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you for posting again!! I imagine that it started off planned but something unexpected came out as well.