1.1.07

Philosophy of Jeniakai

Hello hello and happy new year, for I do believe it may just be a year of happy news (I'll leave you to decide whether that's many new things that are happy or just a lot of good news). This being the start of a new year and the end of the old, I've decided it might be wise to pause for a moment, and consider some of the things I've learned this year.

1.) It is possible for one good thing to eclipse another. Perhaps a better word would be torpedo. An apology to my unfortunate grades of the past semester.

2.) Death comes in many forms: cans, loaves of bread, batteries left too close to an open flame, jars of rubber cement, alligators, unfortunately placed bars of soap... Really, its a wonder any of us have survived this long (I'm making the assumption that if you're reading this, you're still alive) but we can't afford to let ourselves get careless. The chapstick will strike when you least expect it.

3.) People come and go in your life with blinding speed and no fanfare. One day you see them, just like always, and you leave expecting to see them the following week. But the next day they've stepped out of your life forever, and there's nothing you can do about it. On the flipside, people can come into your life just as quickly. A token appearance at a party leads to a casual conversation, which inexplicably lasts far longer than the party.

4.) It is much easier to get out of habits than into them. Except for the bad ones, which for some reason defy all normal laws of habitness.

5.) There is a distinct difference between not doing something because it is difficult or frightening, and not doing it because you're lazy. Sometimes it's not easy to make the distinction. Mistakes have been made. However, it is interesting to note that both of these are solved by a little initiative.

6.) Let's face it, we can't all be comic geniuses.

7.) As hard as I've tried, I'm slowly discovering that I have in fact fallen into all the traps of youth that I sought so hard to avoid. I'm reckless because I think I'm invincible. I'm arrogant, I've got to be the best thing since Einstein kicked the bucket. I'm totally ungrateful since for some reason the world owes it to me. I'm bending all the rules because I with my vast wisdom of 17 years know better than anyone else possibly could.

8.) Old people are infuriating because they have a way of smiling as if they know exactly what you are doing, and also know that someday you'll grow up enough to see it yourself and realize how stupid you were. It's even more infuriating because deep down I suspect they're right.

9.) Burying the person you really are is an excellent way to make yourself thoroughly miserable all the way through.

10.) If you're unhappy, strike at the root of the problem instead of trying to make superficial corrections and scrabbling for a fleeting moment of pleasure. If something is missing in your life, you can't substitute something else and expect it to hold up. You'll just burn through it and leave yourself more miserable than before. Save yourself a lot of grief and do it right the first time.

11.) It doesn't matter what other's might say. Laugh a little more and find joy in the moment. There's nothing wrong with seeking beauty, and great reward in finding it.

12.) The world is a bit of a cynical place. The tendency seems to be to find fault with anyone who has the audacity to be happy and optimistic in our perfect little world of doom and gloom. Go ahead. Whack an old crone on the head with a little ray of sunshine.

I have perhaps had a few too many non-alcoholic beverages tonight. Night all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

But chapstick would never hurt me! It is my precious!!! Jen, I'm amazed by all the wisdom you posess. Let's work on being happy this semester!