14.11.07

Actions and Words

The problem with secrets is that they can be discovered. I guess that's sort of inherent in the nature of secrets, but still. It can be a little problematic.

I think the reason people are always telling you to lead by example is not to protect you from being labeled as a hypocrite, but because changes from observation happen faster than changes from words. A lot of times, I know what logically needs to change, but knowing and actually doing are two different things. It can be very hard to break habits and make changes. But it's a very different thing when someone you respect exemplifies that trait. Often I find myself beginning to emulate them without every consciously deciding to. And even if I did make a conscious decision, it is often much easier to do when I have that example. That's why its so important to surround yourself with the right people.

I recently heard that people are placed on important crossroads in our lives to help and guide us. I believe that to be true. People are not perfect. An individual may in fact be deeply flawed and questionable in origin, and yet that individual undoubtably has wisdom and experience that you do not have, that you may never have considered. There are people around us who can help us. I'm constantly surprised by the perspectives I gain from talking to people.

Communication, as I have been told so often, is absolutely indispensable.

No comments: