I realize this is not an original thought, but it never ceases to amaze me that you don't actually need to be able to understand what a person is saying to respond appropriately. Just today, I was talking on the phone and had a really bad connection, on top of which I was utterly distracted, so I actually had little to know idea of what my conversant was actually saying, but they would have never known, because I made all the appropriate "mmm" "mmhmm" "yeah" and so forth. Rather sad actually.
My optimism continues. In 8th or 9th grade, my sister took it upon herself to inform me that I was a pessimist and a cynic and I need a paradigm shift. I didn't really know what that meant, just that it had something to do with the phrase "rose-colored lenses". Maybe I finally got it.
I can gauge the interest and upheaval of my life by whether or not I'm currently narrating a sequence of fictional characters in my head. That's what I do to keep myself from being bored. But figments pale in comparison to real life drama. When life is happening, I have more important things to sift.
I will always have dreams. Even when I know what I envision is impossible, or pointless, or perhaps even rather foolish. There's no real harm in dreaming. But wishing the impossible can hurt. You're only happy as long as you're dreaming, and every time you come back, you twist the knife all over again. Maybe it's best to let such dreams go. Or maybe the world needs a few people willing to sacrifice for hope.
19.3.07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"We're too young to know that what we want is impossible to achieve, which is why we are the best for it." Or something of that nature...don't ever give up! I'm not saying you should try to dig a tunnel to China, but if doing so makes you happy, go for it!
Post a Comment